The Environmental Health Association of Nova Scotia has a wonderful website about the chemical hazards in personal care products and household cleaning products.
Some of the chemical hazards identified in these products are a huge wake up call for us all. Here is a summary list from their website of chemical hazards found in personal care and household products.
Some products contain ingredients that are:
- Carcinogens – cancer causing
- Developmental Toxins (sub-catagory of reproductive toxin) adverse affect on developing children
- Endocrine or hormone toxin – altering body chemistry and disrupting chemical communication in the body
- Immune system toxin – getting sick more often or getting severe infections
- Liver Toxin – disrupting metabolic functions
- Kidney Toxin – decreased ability to filter blood of normal and abnormal substances
- Mutagen – substances that alter sections of the DNA – the guide book for our cells
- Neurotoxin – affecting the nerves – central nervous system including the brain
- Reproductive Toxin – affecting male and female reproductive functions such as decreased fertility, early puberty, and miscarriages
- Respiratory Toxin – affecting the function or structure of the respiratory system – in essence making it hard to breathe
- Sensitizer – triggering individuals to have severe allergic-type reactions
- Skin Irritant – temporary and chronic skin damage
- Sense Organ Toxicant – temporary and permanant damage to senses of smell, vision, taste, and hearing
- Teratogen – (subtopic of reproductive toxin) causing damage to unborn children in utero
I am so pleased to be able offer you safer cleaning solutions to reduce your risk of chemical hazards.
“Norwex® is committed to radically reducing the use of chemicals in cleaning and personal care to promote health and to reduce the risk of poisoning and disease. More and more we are strongly emphasizing the positive environmental impact of reducing chemical use.”